This document published May 1st, 2013 describes archaeological investigations done in June of 2012. The Fauquier and Alexandria Turnpike Company was incorporated by an Act of the General Assembly in 1808 and road construction was initiated between the Little River Turnpike and Buckland between 1812 and 1818. In 1824, under the guidance of Principal Engineer Claudius Crozet, road construction was initiated on the section between Buckland and Fauquier Courthouse (Warrenton, Virginia).
Within the Fauquier and Alexandria Turnpike project area, an intact and well-preserved early nineteenth century road bed composed of successive stone-paved episodes, including a macadamized surfacing, and other related turnpike features was documented west of Broad Run, adjacent to and immediately south of the northbound Route 29 corridor in the existing Virginia Department of Transportation right-of-way. Because of its significance to the growth and development of Buckland, the larger northern Virginia region, and its association with Claudius Crozet, the remnant turnpike road was given a distinct archaeological site number (44PW1938).
Although present on several mid-nineteenth to early twentieth century images of Buckland, no evidence for the Stagecoach Inn or any other structure was identified within the east yard of the Trone House property. However intact and well-preserved components of the early nineteenth century historic Mill Street corridor (now Buckland Mill Road – S.R. 684), including a stone-surfaced road bed and associated vertically set tabular curb stones and a stone-surfaced sidewalk feature, were identified buried under deep yard and road associated fill deposits.
The presence of the historic Mill Street corridor in the extreme eastern portion of the Trone House yard suggests that the Stagecoach Inn, if present, might be located further north or west, possibly within the existing Route 29 north Virginia Department of Transportation right-of-way.